Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Over/Under

It’s time to play over/under. This month we’re focusing on the upcoming baseball season.

Over/Under that Lupe Fiasco’s “Superstar” will be played more often as an entrance song than Mims’ “This is why I’m Hot”.

I’d say under “This is Why I’m Hot” which was used by batters like Alex Rodriguez last season but over “I’m a Flirt” which was another choice jam for Derek Jeter and I believe Troy Tulowitzki.

Speaking of AROD, Over/Under that he knocks 50 homeruns this season.

I'm going with over on this one. Alex has had three career 50+ homerun seasons, the last coming in 2007. The First time he hit over 50 was in 2001 and he followed that up with five more homers in 2002. Plus he's being working really hard, hitting everyday during the offseason to keep his stroke smooth.

Staying in New York, Over/Under that Johan Santana will have 20 wins with the Mets this season.

I’m going under on this one. 20 wins is a hard commodity, in fact in 2007 only Josh Beckett reached that milestone. The last time Santana did it himself was in 2004 and it’s the only time he has reached 20 wins. I know that even years are good for him, but I don’t see him getting 20 wins this season. Maybe a Cy Young, but not 20 wins.

Ok switching gears, Over/Under that Barry Bonds gets 100 at bats this season.

I’m going with over on this one. Currently Bonds is unemployed but there could be a time when a team gets very desperate especially a team that is dependent on a DH and they may need Bonds to fill in. If you put Bonds in as DH and he got 3 at bats a game, he’d have 100 at bats in just over 33 games, make that 4 and he’d do it in 25. I couldn’t see a team picking him up to make spot starts, it would have to be a team that needed a regular DH and come June, July or August, I think he’ll latch onto some team.

Finally, Over/Under that Teddy Roosevelt gets one win in the President’s Race at the new Nationals Park.

Teddy is currently toasting a big golden zero by his name as he has yet to win one President’s race. My feeling is he’s either going to win the first game ever played at the new stadium on March 30th or he’s never going to win ever. So I’m going with under on this one. Too bad Teddy, but it’s looking like this may be the middle of a beautiful winless streak.

It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: