Thursday, February 14, 2008

Things I Learned at the Spice Girls Concert



1. Wet Seal was having a sale. I've never seen so many glittery tops and cheetah spandex in my life. It was like dancing with the stars threw up on the Izod Center, but in a way that only Jersey girls can pull off. (thx. Matt)

2. What a modern junior prom is like. For an hour, the arena blasted the latest in top 40 sounds from the likes of Kanye West, Ciara, Justin Timberlake and the like. The crowd "danced" in excitement to every rhythm. But when they played "Soulja Boy" people broke out dance moves that reminded me of the moves we were doing for songs like "Cotton Eye Joe" and the "Macarana." I felt so out of the loop. But thankfully, you're only 14 once!

3. That the adage "the higher the hair, the closer to Jesus" is still in affect. I can't even describe the amount of people that looked like they were coming from the prom. They had up do’s that even the basket of curls could not compete with. I felt like I was at a southern beauty pageant the way some girls wore there hair. But alas, I was only at a Spice Girls concert.

4. That I'm getting old. I mused with my friends that most of the girls that attended the concert were probably 4 or 5, if even alive when the Spice Girls hit the US way back in 1996. I was in middle school; I think everyone else was in Pre-K.

5. Too short is not a word in the modern teenager's vocabulary. These girls were rocking tops that they believed were dresses but in reality were just long tunics. Even though some threw on a pair of leggings underneath, it didn't make up for the fact that they were wearing t-shirts. Other girls paired their tops with white boots, because you can never start your career as a go-go dancer in a cage too soon!

6. That Gay, Straight or Taken, is a lot easier to figure out when the "straight" part is eliminated.

7. Underage drinking can get you kicked out of the Izod Center. Ok, so we weren't totally sure if that is why three members of the popo and one member of the arena staff had to have a five minute conversation with a teenage girl which ended with her walk of shame up the section 105/106 steps but I'm guessing we weren't too far off that trail.

8. New things about my camera. So I tried to take a bunch of photos that would show the amazingness that was my experience including shots of the poorly dressed crowd, but I couldn't figure out how to make my flash stronger. But I did learn how to take black and white photos and widescreen photos. So that's a bonus. But I also learned, that yes, my battery did need to be charged. I totally thought so Tuesday night, but I was like, oh I think I charged it recently. Oh how wrong I was!

9. That sometimes the 12 year old inside of me needs to come out. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun at a concert. I was screaming, loudly singing along to songs like "Wannabe" and "Spice Up Your Life" while attempting to dance in the small confines of my seat. I had such a blast. And when they broke out "Celebrate Good Times" and "We Are Family" I was totally transported to all of my friends Bat Mitzvah's in seventh grade. And I guess every once in a while, it's ok to act like your still in middle school. Although my cool teenage vibe quickly dissipated when I tried to get out of my parking spot after the concert ended. Stupid Ford Focus, always blocking my exit!

10. That if I was a Spice Girl, I'd be ginger spice. Although I don't know if I would be into dying my hair red, I kind have settled on my close to natural brown color, but I did love her outfits. The final silver off the shoulder glittery short dress was adorable. Just what I need for my next trip to Vegas. But the Union Jack mini-dress maybe my favorite outfit of the night.

It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: