Friday, July 04, 2008

Things I Learned at Yankee Stadium: Rivalry Edition



1. Jon Lester is a good guy. Yankee fans can’t exactly be described as politically correct, especially when it comes to the Red Sox, but somehow Jon Lester’s personal battles have captivated even the harshest Yankee fan. As I stood at the visitor’s bullpen watching Lester throw his warm-up pitches, I did hear the usual “Lester , you suck.” But mostly I heard, “Hey, Lester, you’re a good guy, but you’re going to suck tonight.” Well, unfortunately for Bombers Nation, he didn’t suck last night.

2. What Yankee Stadium looks like full. This being my fifth game of the season and probably my 15 of my lifetime, I had never attended a Yankees/Red Sox game so I should not have been surprised at how packed bp was. (And part of it was that a lot of people who worked in New York had a half day, plus the kids were out of school, so people got there earlier.) However, by the time the first pitch left Andy Pettitte’s hand around 7:10 every seat in the bleachers was occupied. I didn’t even have a place to put my bag, so it sat on my lap the entire game. (Usually it ends up occupying the seat next to me.)

3. I have really clear skin. It’s always nice to be complemented, but it’s a little weird when the Poland springs guy yells at you “You’ve got real clear skin, do you use proactiv?” over and over again. To the point where all of your bleacher section turns to look at you. I pretty sure that my face turned seven shades of red. And no, I don’t use proactiv. I’m more of a Neutrogena girl.
4. Five-nothing in the fourth can really wipe out a crowd. By the opening pitch there was magic in the air that isn’t always involved in the Yankee games I attend. (How excited can you get at a Yankees/Orioles game?) There were the opening “A—hole” chants, boos to those unfortunate few who proudly wore their Red Sox gear, but as the game rolled on and the Yankee offense continued their anemic limp through each inning, the hungriness of the crowd dissipated and the chants were now coming from the over confident Red Sox fans in attendance.

5. What Jason Giambi looked like as a kid. And yes, even then he was sporting that mustache!
For my photos from the game, click here.

It’s been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: