Monday, January 28, 2008

Things I learned while watching the NHL All-Star Game

Since the writers are on strike screwing up my normal TV viewing, I've found myself watching more hockey than I care to admit. So this year, I decided to forego viewing the SAG Awards and actually watch the NHL All-Star game. For my first time viewing, this is what I learned.


East All-Stars 8, West All-Stars 7

1. Garth Brooks is a hockey fan. First he does the whole spring training thing, then I see him at Nascar's media day and last night I watched him being interviewed in Atlanta in the stands at the All-Star game. Gosh this guy gets around.

2. Hockey has slutty dancers too. I guess it's not a real sport unless you have scantily clad women shaking what their momma gave them in outfits that would make their fathers cringe.

3. It is probably not a good idea to talk to Rick DiPietro while he's tending goal. So the NHL had this brilliant idea of micing the goaltenders during the game. Their first trial was with Islanders' goalie Rick DiPietro (who really should never be forced to wear a goalie mask with a face like that). DiPietro was chatting along with the color commentators when Rick Nash scored his first of three goals in the game. Ricky, as they called him, did, on the other hand, stop the next 12 shots fired at him. So maybe he just needed to get adjusted.

4. Hockey players clean up very, very nicely. I'm not one to gawk, ok, that's a lie, but I have to admit those hockey players sure looked purdy without those pesky helmets getting in the way.

5. Having all of your teeth is not a requirement but rather a bonus for hockey players. I'd imagine missing a few front teeth is more of badge of honor than a hygiene issue for these guys. And besides, if you fixed the problem, you'd probably lose another tooth a couple games later, so it's better to save cosmetic dentistry until after you're finished playing the game.

6. The All-Star game may have more commercials than a Nascar race. Everyone complains about the over abundance of commercials during a Nascar race, but it seemed like every two minutes Versus would break away for a commercial. I get the fact that advertising is the way channels make their money, but it was almost ridiculous.

7. It is not real hockey without some checking. I get that in general All-star games are a tamer version of the real thing. People usually don't slide hard during the baseball All-Star game, basketball players play far less defense than they do during a regular game (if that is at all possible) and the Pro Bowl is just painful to watch. But hockey, for me, needs the spice of slamming someone into the boards, and that was sorely missing during this exhibition.

8. Jerseys look better untucked. I think if you're going to a business meeting, or you're having a press conference (Dale, Jr.) you should tuck that shirt right in. But on the ice, it looks much better to see the end of that jersey hanging loose than the top of your pants sticking out. Sometimes guys, it is fashion over function!

9. The NHL's musical interlude between the second and third periods made the Super Bowl halftime show seem almost enjoyable. I mean what was with the drumline and the reject Knick City Dancers? And what was Ne-Yo doing there? Couldn't get anything better? An ice-skater who jumps over flames would have been better.

10. Don't get it twisted, it's not just fun and games for these guys, they really do want to win the game. Did you see the final 90 seconds? There was checking and players scrambling for the puck. These guys really did want supremacy, even if it didn't decide who got home ice advantage for the Stanley Cup Finals.
(Photo: Getty Images)

It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: