Monday, December 08, 2008

Things I Learned at the Giants Game 2008


Giants 14, Eagles 20

1. How big football players are. I was graciously given a field pass for the pre-game warm-ups. I always knew football players were big guys, but since I don’t really run in their circles, I had never seen one up close. As I was standing on the sideline, Madison Hedgecock ran by me and all I could think of was “crap is his a big guy.” Then the offensive line paraded past to the end zone to do some work out drills and let’s just say, I would never need to carry a gun if I had those guys around me at all times.


2. Nobody likes Jason Seahorn. When Jason Seahorn was announced as the Giants special guest, I did not hear one cheer. And apparently in the lady’s bathroom, the girls were saying “Jason Seahorn sucks.” I guess Angie Harmon did not come along for the game.


3. 12. the number of cool people I saw at the game. (aka the number of people rocking Jeremy Shockey Jerseys.)


4. 1. The number of stupid people I saw at the game. (aka the moron who used masking tape and a sharpie to make his killer Jeremy Shockey jersey into a lame Kevin Boss jersey.)


5. When it’s cold outside, people will buy just about anything to stay warm. That included the brown water they described as “hot chocolate” and the fleece helmet hats, which also have a front to them. Those “helmets” seemed to become the most popular purchase, at first I may have only seem one or two, but as the game wore on, that number quadrupled.


6. When it’s windy, it’s hard to keep the ball in place. The ball kept being blown off the tee for field goals and kick-offs so finally, they had to be held in place. Similarly, they weren’t too into staying on the line of scrimmage before the center got a hold of it.


7. However, it was not hard to block a field goal. Or maybe I should say it was hard to kick a field goal, because three attempts were blocked, including one that was returned for a touchdown by the Giants.


8. The Plaxico lessons. If you are charged with carrying a non-registered handgun, your photo will be taken down and possibly replaced by one of David Tyree, who hasn’t played all season, your jersey will no longer be sold at any of the Giants official stores in the stadium, however it will not prevent some from wearing said jersey, the Giants from putting your picture on the ticket and the Giants will realize that Domenik Hixon is no Plaxico Burress.


9. When your fingers are like individual blocks of ice, it’s hard to take a picture. I don’t know if I can explain how cold it was yesterday, especially as the game progressed (and I know people in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Green Bay are making fun of my continued writing about the cold) but man was it muy frio! I lost feeling in my fingers and could not tell when I was pressing the button. Thank goodness for digital cameras because seeing the photo after you take it is the only way I knew I hit the right button. Also by the end of the game, I would have paid a lot of money for a pair of wool socks because my toes were going through a similar pain as my fingers.


10. No matter how cold it gets, there's always some idiot who takes off his shirt. And why is it, that it's never someone you'd actually want to see without a shirt on. Like David Beckham's clone is not taking off his shirt at a Packer's game in -20 degree weather. But Warren Sapp's twin would be prancing on the sidelines half naked.


For more photos from the game, click here.

No comments: