Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Edwards v. Kenseth round 2

Following the pit road squabble between Carl Edwards and Matt Kenseth on Sunday, the teammates have taken their feud to the press.

Matt Kenseth on Edwards: "His behavior has been real erratic lately, honestly. You don't know what to expect with him. That's the thing that's a little bit troublesome. One minute, he has so much respect for you, and he's real friendly and everything's so much fun. The next minute he wants to kick your butt and he's swearing at you. It's a little scary. You never know what you're going to get." (source)

Carl Edwards countered Kenseth’s claim: "What led up to the deal that happened after the race of me confronting Matt, it was not a one-day deal...I've won three races this year in the Nextel Cup Series. When I win, people call and congratulate and people are happy for me. It's just the wrong people. I've got Jimmie Johnson calling me every time I win to say good job. And my teammates aren't the ones doing that." (source)

So far I’ve picked up Edwards is crazy and Kenseth is inconsiderate. Carl take it away…

"I don't think Matt's voluntarily said two sentences to me in the last six months. We just don't talk a lot. We don't know one another well enough. And it's my opinion that that's what's precipitated this stuff is that lack of communication." (source)

Kenseth responded: Carl and I aren't friends. We've never gone to dinner and hung out together…We have talked several times, and he always comes up and asks about the car, and we talk a little at the racetrack, but we've never been like friends where we hang out away from the track and go do stuff. Our interests are a lot different. I don't think anything has happened to make our relationship different. (source)

Geoff Smith, President of Roush Racing told reporters: "[I'd be] real surprised if that by the time we get to Atlanta, there hasn't been a conversation [between Kenseth and Edwards.] They have to work that out. But if they can't, and it has a lingering effect on how the organization runs, then Jack [Roush] would step in again." (source)

Can teammates work together on the track and hate each other off? We’ll have to tune into ABC to watch the race from Atlanta to find out.

It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: