Friday, April 11, 2008

More Things I Learned at Shea


Mets 4, Phillies 3 (12)

1. The new Shea (aka CitiField) is going to be a cute stadium. Modeled after the famed
Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, the new CitiField features a rotunda and looks to be in line with the boutique old school parks rocking a city near you. But if it really is modeled after Ebbets, reporters are totally screwed because they forgot to add press boxes in the stadium in Brooklyn. Oh the rotunda was very pretty but not very functional. I guess we’ll have to wait until next year to see how things go.

2. The Mets colors are orange and blue. Now some people tried to trick me by rocking out the green jerseys and then there were some people in navy pinstripes plus those horrible pink jerseys, but after eyeing the crowd, I decided their colors must be orange and blue.

3. Sticking with the Jersey theme, you should think long and hard about the player’s jersey you want before purchasing it. First of all, they are expensive. So you can’t always just run out and buy a new authentic jersey when your chosen player starts to suck or even worse leaves the team. And then your stuck with some crappy jersey that you are forced to wear to every game you attend to prove your love of the team. I love this team so much, I'm willing to wear this crappy jersey to prove it. I think the big winner of the night was the guy with the Kaz Matsui jersey, although the Paul Lo Duca one was also fairly amazing.

4. If you know the cotton candy guy, you can get free cotton candy. Unfortunately for me, I learned this lesson after I paid my $4 for cotton candy. Although, he was very nice about it, he still didn’t give me my four dollars back!

5. Free rally towels have many uses. Never has a give away been so useful. Not only could it be used to wipe your seat if say your assigned seat was sticky when you went to sit down on it. It could also be used as a shield if rains, a beer koozie to keep your hands dry while sipping on you Bud or Bud Light, it can be a bandana to keep your hair out of your face, a chew toy (like for the guy in front of us who looked like he almost had a heart attach when he thought David Wright struck out looking a pitch before it actually happened on the next pitch) or it could be used a rag, since it was pretty much fraying at the seems when I got it at the gate.

6. Some Mets fans are nice, others are really douchie. We sat in front of some really nice Mets fans (one actually looked like Seth Rogan) who we chatted up. We went back and fourth over the Phillies losing 10,000 games and the Mets blowing the NL East lead with 17 games to go, but it was all in good fun. Then there were some vicious Mets fans in the section next to us (I believe it was section 1 of the Mezzanine) who were berating some Phillies fans. And there was also a drunk guy in our section, but I don’t think he really knew how douchie he was acting.

7. A bunch of Phillies I never knew existed. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel went pinch hitter happy way too early taking out centerfielder Shane Victorino in I think the sixth inning. From then on, the Phillies paraded out pretty much the entire bench including pitcher Cole Hamels. They also exhausted the bullpen in similar fashion so not only did I get free baseball, but I also got to see the entire 25 man roster.

8. I miss Aaron Rowand in center. So even though I got to see the entire Phillies roster, there was one important person missing, Aaron Rowand. I didn’t think it would hit me like it did, but I kind of missed the wild man roaming the grass in center for the Phils. I guess I’ll have to go see the Giants when they come into town. Oh, and if not having Aaron Rowand play center for the Phillies made me nostalgic, I can only imagine what it will be like to see the Braves play at Shea in two weeks without Andruw Jones. I’ll probably need that rally towel to wipe away the tears!

9. Jose Reyes was totally out. Fine, the umpire may not have gone with me on that one, but Chris Coste totally nailed him at the plate. Lucky break for the Meties…this time!

10. Even though the sign says subways with an arrow pointing straight, it doesn’t mean the entrance for the entrance is open. Which by the way, it totally stupid, why have a sign if you aren’t going to keep the entrances open? But it did turn out to be the faster way to get to the subway even if we had to go all the way around.

Big shout out to self.com for getting me the tickets!
It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: