Monday, September 24, 2007

Tony Stewart School of Racing

Being a huge NASCAR fan in the New York metro area, I get the same comments over and over again. "NASCAR, how can you watch that? It's so boring, just cars going around in circles." There's so much more than that. There's the side by side racing, pit strategy, exciting finishes and the post race banter. This week's episode featured a colorful back forth from Kyle Petty and Denny Hamlin after their lap 203 up close and personal.

Petty: "I just told him '(Bowyer) is in the Chase and I'm not'. That's how
simple it is. It's a shame that a guy with that much talent has to drive like
that. We've seen it a lot. We've seen it all year long. Even his teammate Tony
Stewart talked about it. I think it pretty much speaks for itself. We were
a little bit loose. I guess it's my fault. I watched the Busch race yesterday
and I knew Denny was sick, I just didn't know he was hallucinating and needed
three lanes to get up off the corner because he ran all over us. I guess he is
in a race by himself." (source)


Kyle, who was obiviously dumped by Hamlin, isn't too far off on this whole impatient Hamlin thing. He did get into an accident with Tony Stewart during the Pepsi 400 this past July. Although Tony kind of got the action going. All in all, it's probably not a good idea to approach a driver in the garage while his car is being fixed.

Hamlin: "Don't smack me on the helmet, you smack me on the helmet I'm going to
punch you in the face — bottom line. I'd like for him to call me some time
this week before next week...you don't come to my car, you don't to my pit you
meet me somewhere else and we'll settle it, but I have the utmost respect for
Kyle but don't lay your hands on my head. I didn't say one word to him (Petty)
in the garage. All I just said was, 'Come here and let me talk to you about it.'
He chose to slap my helmet. You know, in hindsight, I should have grabbed his
throat." (source)


And remember, Hamlin has probably learned a few things from his Joe Gibbs Racing teammate.

It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: