Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hurray for 65!!


(Photo from New York Post)

The New York Giants and Jets broke ground on the as yet to be named stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on Wednesday. The new $1.3 billion stadium will hold 82,500 seats or 4,000 more than Giant Stadium currently holds. As a season ticket waitlister I always thought 67 would be my lucky year. I'd collect social security (if it still exists) and a pair of shiny new Giants season tickets. I hate to mention that if my number is the actual number I am on the wait list, I'd be somewhere near 54,000. Of course the Giants only turn over like 6 each year, so I've got some time to save. But I hold out hope every year that some wife forgets to give her husband the re-up letter or some elderly person dies off and forgets to forward their tickets in their will. That means I move up on that list. But maybe with these additional seats, I might get my season tickets at 65!

Other highlights of the new stadium...it will have flashing lights that will be blue when the Giants play and green when the Jets play. Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about gang green. But I guess I'm like most people living in the area!
"Ensuring that the stadium would feel like home to both teams and both groups of
fans was our goal and also one of the biggest challenges in the design of the
stadium," Steve Tisch the Giant' executive vice president
said.
Currently, everything in the Stadium says Giants and when the Jets play they have to cover it up. And, it's probably a bitch for the day laborers.




But I think I might have left out the best part, there will be a 300,000 square-foot outdoor plaza for tailgating. (I guess this is making up for the fact that you can't tailgate for three years.) I'm so excited to head down route 17, park my car at like 9 AM, set up my portable grill, throw on some burgers, open up that bottle of bud light and hang out with some real football fans. Then I'll close up my grill and head in to enjoy another great Giants season. Here's to 2010!


Just for kicks, here's an aerial picture from the New York Post. Notice the racetrack? Maybe we'll have NASCAR racing in New Jersey afterall...

It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: