Friday, October 03, 2008

this is why you're hot...or not

(Note: This post was actually written a couple of days ago and was being held for a Friday post. Since then, SI has actually updated their list with ten new names - two of which were in my final suggestions and Kyle Busch – because you know…he’s attractive. To see the updated list click here.)

A week or two ago the people behind Hot Clicks over on SI’s Extra Mustard decided to give its lady readers a bone by putting a picture of a hot male at the top of its post instead of the usually scantily clad gal they tend to have. There was even an accompanying list of the 15 hottest males in sports (which is supposedly a reader’s choice list, but I'm not too sure). A worthy try, but the list was more likely voted on by guys and was rather football heavy. Below I’ve categorized their picks and then added some worthy replacements! (click here for their photo gallery)

The Obvious
Kobe Bryant
Tom Brady
Derek Jeter
David Beckham

The Acceptable
Kasey Kahne
Braylon Edwards
Justin Morneau

The Overrated
Tim Tebow
Ben Roethlisberger
Terrell Owens
Andy Roddick
Cristiano Ronaldo

The Good Picks
Reggie Bush
Jason Taylor
Joe Mauer

Possible Replacements
Rick DiPietro
What was up with the complete shut out of hockey players? I get that they are stereotyped as missing their teeth or having a crocked nose or whatever but one look at DiPietro and you can just throw that thought out the window.
(photo: Getty Images for the NHL)

Ryan Braun
I agree that Justin Morneau is attractive, but of the three baseball players to be named, two of them came from the Twins, so I’d take out Morneau and replace him with Braun. I think the photo above makes my case very well.
(photo: AP)


James Blake
Why must we continue to ride that Roddick train? He was cute when he was with Mandy Moore; he also won the US Open. Since then, he’s upgraded his arm candy but has downgraded his career. So I’ve happily jumped off that train and moved over to the J Block.
(photo: Peter Kramer/Getty Images)


David Carr
I’m sure that Ben Roethlisberger is a very nice person, he’s a very good quarterback, I enjoy that he plays through pain, dated (or could still be, sorry I’m not keeping up on my QB/actress pairing news) Missy Peregryn who just happens to be on one of my favorite shows, Reaper, but I wouldn’t exactly put him on a list of the most attractive guys in sports, maybe on the Steelers, but certainly not all of sports. So I’d take him out and replace him with Carr, because we should praise him of something.
(photo: Mike Groll/AP)


Theirry Henry
I’m pretty sure Cristiano Ronaldo is made of plastic, which makes him totally creepy looking. Henry on the other hand, is totally adorable and much more worthy of spot on my list.
(photo: Getty Images/AFP)

Grady Sizmore
And because there were far too many football players named, I’m adding an additional baseball player to balance the list a bit more and who better to add than Sizemore. Just look at that smile!

(photo: Getty Images)



Denny Hamlin
I’ll concede this maybe the most controversial pick on my list. Kasey Kahne is the teen girl’s equivalent to a Nascar Jonas Brother and Carl Edwards is often included in those rankings. Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon probably ring closer to the 19-39 demo as your modern day Paul Newman and Robert Redford (but brunette instead of blonde) and I know all those Junior fans would have a major argument with my assertion of Hamlin on this list of him, however Hamlin does have boyish good looks. Combine that with his talent and drive that has placed him squarely in the ranks of the best drivers in Nascar and add to those qualities his competiveness that often makes his television interviews so fun to watch and you know why I’ve picked him. Plus gosh darn it, he’s cute!
(Photo: Getty Images for Nascar)

Place any other suggestions in the comments section.

No comments: