Friday, March 06, 2009

Cheating doesn’t pay

That’s what Florida State University has learned the hard way. The NCAA has given the University four years’ probation and has forced the school to lose scholarships in football and forfeit games because of an academic cheating scandal that involved 61 men’s and women’s athletes from various sports. The cheating was done through an online test from the fall of 2006 through the summer of 2007. Students reportedly received improper help from employees who gave them the answers to tests and in some cases typed papers for the students.

Typed their papers!! I remember being a freshman at UCONN back in the day and I had a basketball player in my class that didn’t like computers so he hand wrote everything. I bet my professor would have been happy to have someone type up the paper just so she could read it. (Although I am assuming in the case of the FSU students, they got a little more help than just having someone type papers for them. I am betting it was more like that person came up with an idea, researched, built an outline, typed, edited, edited some more and then handed in the paper without the input of the student whose name appeared on the paper.) But I will say, he never missed a class and always handed in his assignments on time, so what if they were always on loose-leaf paper. Ah memories.
(source)

Happy weekend kids, because I am busting out of this joint a bit early!

No comments: