Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Best Hair in Baseball

Long Hair
So right before I get my hair cut or colored, I spend far too much time staring at people on the subway thinking, wow, that’s a great cut. Maybe I can finally let go and cut off those four inches of hair I have carefully burned to oblivion with a straightening iron these past few months. But in the end, that never happens, and instead I go for a trim. With a 162 game season, it’s easy to see why some of these players have decided to forgo a cut and instead grow out their long beautiful locks.


Bronson Arroyo
By far, my favorite head of hair in the game. Except for the time when he opted for the corn rows. Not a good time for him.

(Getty Images)
Magglio Ordonez
The guy is batting .381, like he has time to go to the barber shop. And frankly, with those curly locks flowing in the breeze, why should he?


Cole Hamels
So I guess I’d give Cole the best brunette pitcher in baseball award. He’s got what I’ve always wanted, straight hair and at 23 a really great future ahead.


Travis Buck
If you watch enough reality shows on MTV, you must be thinking, wasn’t he on that show in Hawaii (Maui Fever). No, Buck wasn’t on that show, but his alter ego Corbin was!



Manny Ramirez
If anyone can pull of the dreads, it’s Manny.



Pedro Martinez
Remember when he used to have that little person in his entourage? Well, just like shorty, Pedro’s long locks were cut long ago. But I still kind of miss them.



Jeff Weaver
Ok, so not a great picture of the hair (it's hard to find pictures of ball players without hats on), but giving Bronson a run for his money has got to be Jeff Weaver. Both pitchers, both have World Series rings, but can Jeff sing “Wonderwall” like Bronson? I doubt it.

Short Hair
When I was younger I always used to have short, shoulder length hair. (I also shaved the back of my head in the summer to keep those pesky short pieces off my neck.) But that was before I learned about a straightening iron and hair products. But for these guys sometimes shorter is better.



Joe Mauer
Joe Mauer is not only bringing back the sideburns, he’s also trying to bring back the Caesar cut, one made famous by George Clooney, during his time on ER.



Trevor Hoffman
Even after picking up another save, Hoffman may have the best post-game hair by anyone who actually plays during the game. Must be because he only goes out for one inning.



Justin Morneau
Not to be out done by teammate and former roommate, Joe Mauer, Justin epitomizes the easy, breezy, beautiful short hair look.


Aaron Rowand
Aaron is like an inch away from having too much party in the back, but as of now, his hair is just long enough to peak out of the back of his hat, while maintaining the business look in the front.



Jose Reyes
Back in May when the Mets decided they were going to shave off all their hair in a sign of solidarity (yeah, in May) Reyes was not having it. He was one of the final hold-outs, but eventually Reyes gave in. I’m going to have to say, that while he wasn’t one of the worst looking baldies (that probably goes to Shawn Green) I like him better with a little more length.


Shane Victorino
Pulling off the buzz cut is not easy, just ask Shawn Green (sorry, but it’s really bad). However, Victorino’s symmetrical features and charming smile are just cute enough to make it work!


John Smoltz
It’s hard for guys when they start to lose their hair. They start to take Rogaine, or they buy that spray on hair. But John Smoltz makes thinning hair look, dare I say hot!

Don’t kill yourself if your hair didn’t make the list. After all you get paid to play baseball, not to sell hair care products. (Except for maybe W. Boggs)
It's been fun blogging with you,
Kate

No comments: