Wednesday, August 02, 2006

August 2, 2006

It’s August, that means summer is almost over :(



So this weekend, I headed on down to Wildwood. I had a good time. I played golf I went down to Cape May, such a cute town, and then I passed out, almost in that order!


I went down to the beach, the shore seemed to go on forever. Of course I didn't go in the water.


We went to a one man play in Cape May. This is an interesting resturaunt across the street.


This is the sunken ship off the coast of Cape May Point. It's the southern most part of NJ.

(My computer wasn't loving loading all the photos, so more pictures to come.)

I also took yesterday off to recuperate after Monday’s excitement. I watched five hours of “Gilmore Girls,” a wasted day in some people’s eyes, but not for me. I’m so going to be ABCFamily’s Gilmore Guru!

Braves Update:
After a four game slide, the Bravos picked up where they left off before the home stand with a 4-2 win over the Pirates. Braves, first baseman, Adam LaRoche had two solo homeruns and Marcus Giles had three doubles. LaRoche has surpassed his season high homerun total of last year. Gilly has had four doubles in the past two games since switching to second in the batting order. John Smoltz picked up the win and Bob Wickman got his third save. The Braves play the Pirates tonight at 7:05 on FSN.

Since I haven’t updated in a couple of days I also wanted to mention:
Wilson Betemit was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers for infielder, Willy Aybar and right handed relief pitcher, Danys Baez. I like this trade, we received a relief pitcher which we desperately needed as well as a young and talented infielder who can start at third in the place of Chipper Jones and not see a major skills drop off, like when Pete Orr plays third. Also Aybar is a solid lead off hitter and allows Marcus Giles to hit second, which he much prefers.

Also, Jorge Sosa was designated for assignment and then traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for minor league right handed pitcher, Rich Scalamandre.

Games to .500: 7
Games behind the Cincinnati Reds: 5.5
Games behind New York Mets: 14

Around Baseball:
Greg Maddux, I know it’s hard, traded from the crappy Cubs to the doomed Dodgers, but was it completely necessary to rock the Tommy Bahama shirt at the press conference? What’s so wrong with a polo shirt or even…a suit?

Bobby Abreau went 0-3 with a walk in his Yankees debut. (Check Monday’s post for pictures of Abreau in his Phillies clothes.)

Chase Utley extended his hitting streak to 33 games.

We'll categorize this as stupid news: Minor League Baseball Player Steals from Teammates.
I can just see it now, Christopher Hodby (the accused) out to dinner with some of his teammates,
Teammate A: "Man I just can't find my credit cards. I swear I had them yesterday."
Teammate B: "Yeah, I could swear that I had at least $20 bucks yesterday, but now I'm down to $5"
Teammate C: "Yeah, I'm missing money too. I can really only afford a beer tonight, boys."
Christopher: "Don't worry, I'll pick up the tab, my mom just got me a new credit card."
Teammate A: "Hey, since when is your last name Willis?"
Christopher: "I don't like to talk about it, but my mom had a fling with Bruce Willis, and that's how I was born. Willis is my real name, but Hobdy's my stepdad's last name, so I use that one."
Teammate A: "No you ass, that's my credit card!"
Christopher sprints out of the restaurant.
Teammate B: "Too bad he couldn't run that fast last night, maybe then he wouldn't have been tagged out at home and we could have won."


NASCAR update:
The Cup boys had the week off, although the Busch boys tangled in St. Louis at Gateway. Congratulations to Carl Edwards, who picked up his fourth Busch Series win this season.

Robert Yates Racing has cleaned house, first with the loss of both drivers for 2007, Dale Jarrett and Elliot Sadler. Now, the crew chiefs, “Slugger” Labbe, and Tommy Baldwin, Jr. have been let go. Baldwin is headed over to Bill Davis Racing, which will be one of three teams racing Toyotas next year. Immediate plans for Labbe have not been released. Butch Hylton will take over crew chief duties for Jarrett and Charles “Cully” Barraclough will take over crew chief duties for Elliot Sadler.

Racing is a tough sport; in June David Gilliland was the toast of NASCAR with his improbable Busch win at Kentucky. This week, his team, Clay Andrews Racing, has closed its doors due to lack of funding. Something tells me he’ll be ok, like the fact that he will be starting in the number 90 RYR ford in the Busch race this weekend.

Lucky for us, Bill Weber will continue to anchor TNT’s race broadcasts for the 2007 season. Let’s hope for qualities sake, that he gets better and that Wally doesn’t join him in the booth. Wasn’t the bright side to losing NBC next season, losing Weber and Wally? (Although I do love Allen Bestwick. He got so downgraded, and I don’t know why, I think he does a great job. At least he knows which drivers drive which car.) Why can’t Darrell Waltrip just do the entire season? He’s suck a spark in the booth!

Giants Update:
TE Jeremy Shockey missed yesterday’s practice due to headaches as a result of his mild concussion Monday. What exactly is a mild concussion? Anytime you injure your brain, it seems rather severe to me. I’m sure Shockey will just shake it off, and then kick Will Demps’ ass!

Popo in my Crib news:
I’m a little late on this one, but Mel Gibson was arrested Thursday night or Friday Morning depending on how you see it, for DUI. I won’t get into the sorted details, because frankly, I don’t care and don’t condone this type of behavior. I do always like to update the blog’s rap sheet. So Mel, watch out for the popo, they are on your tail!

Random Quote: "Before Mel Gibson was a crazy, fanatical lunatic with cop troubles, he was a crazy fanatical, lunatic cop." –how Spike TV has been promoting its airing of Lethal Weapon tonight, via page six.

Celebrity Tid Bits:
Pam Anderson and Kid Rock were married in St. Tropez over the weekend.

Sheryl Crowe is dating again. Good for her, Lance is so overrated, plus from all the pictures I’m seeing, and blind items, Sheryl might not be his kind of man. (j/k)

MTV’s reality series the Hills will air its season finale tonight. But don’t worry; it has been renewed for another season. Where do you think Lauren will intern next year? Louis Vuitton has already turned down a request for Lauren to intern there.

It’s been fun blogging with you,

Kate

No comments: