Wednesday, August 30, 2006

August 30, 2006

This morning I was greeted by the Mutts’ mascot, baseball head, (I have no idea, nor do I care to know its actual name) as I left Penn Station. So it’s an upgrade from when I tripped walking up the stairs last week, but otherwise a crappy way to start my day.

Braves Update:
It was not a crappy day for the Braves as they beat the Giants (the other Giants) 13-8. Chipper Jones and Adam LaRoche each had a homerun last night. Andruw Jones knocked two out of the park, although he almost needed a pinch runner after he hit his second homer. Jones wiped out at first base. I know you have a bad knee and everything Andruw, but there really is no reason why you can’t just run around the bases without falling. After looking at Terry Pendleton, I think he had a similar response as me, laugh and then just shake your head. Jeff Francoeur was robbed a homerun by a leaping Barry Bonds. Barry, with a catch like that who needs pain killers? Tim Hudson got the win making his record this season 11-10. The Braves take on the Giants again tonight at 7:35 on FSN.

Games to .500: 6
Games behind San Diego Padres: 4
Games behind New York Mets: 19

Braves notes: Kyle Davies is on the mend and expected to pitch during Saturday's doubleheader againt the Phillies (I'll be at the afternoon game!)...There are two new fan clubs (well I just discovered them) for Braves players, Adams Army and LaRoche's Ladies (really? I get Frenchy's Maids or Chases Chicks but really?)

NASCAR Update:
1989 Cup Series Champ, Rusty Wallace and his wife, Patti were involved in a two car accident Monday night. They were on their way home from the airport when their Dodge Durango was hit in the passenger side door. Neither Rusty nor Pattie were seriously injuried although they both are a bit sore.

In random yet amazing news, the #66 car driven by Jeff Green will run an According to Jim paint scheme at Fontana this weekend. The paint scheme is to promote the syndication of Jim. Is it wrong that I love According to Jim? Probably…

Morgan McClure will be running a full schedule next year. They also said that they are in talks to partner with another team. For their sake, I hope it’s JGR or RCR because otherwise, they’ll be heading home early a lot next year.

Around sports:
It’s a good thing Matt Leinart held out for all that extra cash, as the first round draft pick will become a dad some time this fall. Former and possibly current girlfriend, Brynn Cameron, a 20 year old junior at USC is the mother. She will, of course, sit this season out. She plays for the USC girl’s basketball team. Good work Matt! Way to not get the multimillion dollar heiress pregnant and have your kid suck that well dry instead of your own.

Around the world:
While Florida was hit by a relatively weak tropical storm Ernesto, the people of Mexico are bracing for Hurricane John, which is now considered a category 4 storm.

Separated at Birth:

Celebrity Tid Bits:
Congratulations go out to Danity Kane, whose album debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts, selling 215,000 units this week. I sadly am addicted to Making the Band. It started with the O-town season and continued to MTB 2 with DaBand until their egos go too large and I couldn’t watch it anymore and then I moved onto MTB 3. This is so not my kind of music but good TV none-the-less.

Congratulations also go out to the Wreckers. Their single, “Leave the Pieces” climbed to the top of the Billboard country singles chart.

CMA nominations were announced this morning. Along with the nominations George Strait, Sonny Jones, and Harold Bradley were honored as the 2006 Country Music Hall of Fame inductees. They will be officially inducted during the November 6th broadcast. (Yeah George Strait!)

Here are some of the CMA nominations and who I want to win:

Entertainer of the Year:
Brooks & Dunn
Kenny Chesney
Brad Paisley (x)
Rascal Flatts
Keith Urban

Female Vocalist:
Sara Evans (x)
Faith Hill
Martina McBride
Carrie Underwood
Gretchen Wilson

Male Vocalist:
Deirks Bentley
Kenny Chesney
Alan Jackson really, isn’t there some else we could include on this list? Joe Nichols perhaps? I know I'm reaching a bit on that one, ok, how about Blake Shelton? Toby Keith...anyone?
Brad Paisley (x)
Keith Urban

Vocal Group:
Alison Krauss & Union Station Featuring Jerry Douglas
Little Big Town (x)
Lonestar really?
Rascal Flatts yeah, like they're not going to win
Sugarland

Vocal Duo:
Big & Rich
Brooks & Dunn (x) why do they have competitors?
Montgomery Gentry
Van Zant
The Wreckers

Horizon Award:
Miranda Lambert (x)
Little Big Town
Sugarland
Josh Turner he’s had two successful albums, I don’t think he can be considered best new artist
Carrie Underwood

Album of the Year:
Award goes to artist and producer
Hillbilly Deluxe – Brooks & Dunn
Me and My Gang – Rascal Flatts this was not their best effort and should not be included, listen to Julie Roberts “Men & Mascara” or Little Big Town “The Road Here” for real nominees Precious Memories – Alan Jackson
The Road and the Radio – Kenny Chesney totally grew on me, and I love it, but...
Time Well Wasted – Brad Paisley (x)

Single of the Year:
Award goes to artist and producer
“Believe” – Brooks & Dunn
“Better Life” – Keith Urban
“Jesus, Take the Wheel” – Carrie Underwood
“Summertime” – Kenny Chesney love the song but not really in the same league as the other four
“When I Get Where I’m Going” – Brad Paisley (x)

Song of the Year:
Award goes to songwriter and primary producer
“8th of November” – Big Kenny and John Rich
“Believe” – Craig Wiseman and Ronnie Dunn
“Jesus, Take the Wheel” – Hillary Lindsey, Brett James and Gordie Sampson
“Tonight I Want to Cry” – Keith Urban and Monty Powell
“When I Get Where I’m Going” – Rivers Rutherford and George Teren (x)

Musical Event:
“Building Bridges” – Brooks & Dunn Featuring Sheryl Crow and Vince Gill
“Like We Never Loved at All” – Faith Hill Featuring Tim McGraw (x)
“Politically Uncorrect” –Gretchen Wilson Featuring Merle Haggard WHY?
“When I Get Where I’m Going” – Brad Paisley Featuring Dolly Parton
“Who Said You Can’t Go Home” – Bon Jovi Featuring Jennifer Nettles

Music Video:
Award goes to artist and director
“8th of November” – Big & Rich
“Believe” – Brooks & Dunn
“Jesus, Take the Wheel” – Carrie Underwood great song, terrible, terrible video
“Kerosene” – Miranda Lambert (x) There’s fire!
“Where I Get Where I’m Going” – Brad Paisley

Musician:
Eddie Bayers – Drums
Jerry Douglas – Dobro (x)
Paul Franklin – Steel Guitar
Dann Huff- Guitar
Brent Mason – Guitar, Electric Guitar
Randy Scruggs- Guitar

I'm hoping for a Brad Paisley kind of night, he's always nominated for the big awards but he never wins them and he totally deserves to win!

Random Quote: “You need another job. I mean you have potential as a human being.” –Jeremy Piven to Billy Bush on the Emmy red carpet (via people.com)

It's been fun blogging with you,

Kate

No comments: