Monday, August 28, 2006

August 28, 2006

So, last night, I missed the Emmy’s (don’t worry I have an update in celebrity tid bits) because I went to Continental Airlines Arena to see Mariah Carey. Sean Paul opened. If he fell on me, I wouldn’t know who he was. Everyone else seemed to know him and decided to dance in their seats, which produced more entertainment for me than Sean Paul, but once again, I’m pretty sure I’m the exception and not the rule. They kept asking for the sexy ladies, which, well creeped me out. After 40 minutes, he was gone and onto Mariah.

She came out in a bra and boy underwear set, which was a little less clothing than I was wanting, but it’s Mariah! She preformed a good mix of her new and oldies including, “Vision of Love”, “Dream lover”, “Fantasy”, “Hero”, “Honey”, “Heartbreaker”, “I’ll be There”, and all of the singles off her latest album. She preformed on a large stage, and a stage in the middle of the crowd. She had I think four costume changes, with each outfit, she was more covered up. During her costume changes she had DJ Clue and pal mix some records. It made me feel really out of it; besides “Poison” I really had not heard of any the other songs. Yikes! I feel like I’m not the demo. Also Mario (another person who could fall on me and I would have no clue who he was) made a guest appearance, and sang “One Sweet Day” with Mariah. My friend Niki, went crazy. She closed with “We belong Together.” I had a blast. Mariah was my favorite artist from about 8-13. While I’m not as die hard now, I’m glad that I got to see her. If she’s heading to a town near you, I totally suggest seeing her.

Be aware, they check for cameras. The first time I tried to go in, they made me get rid of my camera, but I went in a different entrance and was able to bring it in.


Sorry, this was the only picture I took of Sean Paul


The stage as Mariah came out.


Mariah Carey


Mariah on the center stage with dancers. (Sorry it's a little blurry)


Mariah with Mario


Mariah's finale

Braves Update:
The Bravos closed out their series with Washington Nationals with a 13-6 win. (This coming a day after John Smoltz pitched another fantastic game allowing only one run.) Oscar Villarreal, normally a relief pitcher, pitched 3 innings giving up four runs, before being taken out of the game. Lance Cormier, who was called up from AAA, pitched three innings giving up 2 runs, and Macay McBride got the win going two scoreless innings. The Braves offense was awesome with Chipper Jones, Jeff Francoeur, and Andruw Jones all hitting homeruns. Adam LaRoche drove in four runs and Brian McCann went 4-5. The Braves have today off and will close up their home stand going against the San Francisco Giants, Tuesday-Thursday before heading to Philly, where I’ll be stalking, I mean watching the game on Saturday!

Games from .500: 7
Games behind Cincinnati Reds: 5
Games behind New York Mets: 18.5

NASCAR Update:
NASCAR was in Thunder Valley this weekend with three night races, starting Wednesday and continuing Friday and Saturday. It was an all Roush weekend as Mark Martin won the Truck Race and Matt Kenseth swept the Busch and Cup races. I was watching the Cup race, and I thought that it was a tad bit boring, missing the usual Bristol spice, but I thought, maybe it’s just me. Well it wasn’t. Other people who reviewed the race had a similar opinion. Chase contenders littered the top ten, which included Kenseth, Kyle Busch, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin, Jeff Burton, and Jimmie Johnson. Kasey Kahne, who finished 12th, lost 51 points to new tenth place chaser, Mark Martin.

Standings after Sharpie 500
In the Chase:
1. Jimmie Johnson Leader
2. Matt Kenseth -7
3. Kevin Harvick -321
4. Kyle Busch -402
5. Jeff Gordon -408
6. Denny Hamlin -429
7. Jeff Burton -435
8. Tony Stewart -443
9. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. -448
10. Mark Martin -450
Outside Looking in (from 10th)
11. Kasey Kahne -90
There’s always 2007
12. Greg Biffle -251
13. Carl Edwards -261
14. Kurt Busch -390
15. Ryan Newman -463
16. Casey Mears -485
17. Brian Vickers -501
18. Jamie McMurray -518
19. Scott Riggs -572
20. Clint Bowyer -586
New Jersey’s Finest
23. Martin Truex, Jr. -665

It was confirmed that Mark Martin will not run a full Cup schedule with Roush Racing for 2007. He is expected to run a full Truck schedule.

Giants Update:
The Giants defeated the Jets 13-7 for the battle of New Jersey on Friday. (My Friday was crazy, Giants, Braves, and NASCAR all on the same night.) The Giants are 3-0 in preseason play.

Giants notes: The Giants have cut Rob Johnson, making the quarterbacks Eli Manning (starting), Tim Hasselbeck and Jared Lorenzen (backups).

Around Sports:
Congratulations to Marco Andretti. At 19 he became the youngest driver ever to win a race in the IRL, by winning Indy’s Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sunday.

Celebrity Tid Bits:
The Emmy’s Awards were present last night and here’s a rundown of the winners:

Drama Category
Best Series: 24
Best Actor: Keifer Sutherland, 24
Best Actrees: Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Best Supporting Actor: Alan Alda, West Wing
Best Supporting Actress: Blythe Danner, Huff

Comedy Category:
Series: The Office (Yeah!)
Best Actor: Tony Shalaub, Monk
Best Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine (Is this because she was the only one with a series still on this season?)
Best Supporting Actor: Jeremy Piven, Entourage (Yeah!)
Best Supporting Actress: Megan Mullally, Will & Grace (Yeah!)

Other Categories:
The Daily Show won for outstanding variety, music or comedy show, and also for best writing in that category.

So, from what I’ve read, Conan O’Brien did a great job. I was somewhat happy with the winners, except no Greys :(. The nominations were pretty awful, so hopefully, next year the Emmy voters can do a better job nominating people like Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls!

Mark Wahlberg’s new movie, Invincible, topped the box office bringing in $17 million followed by Talladega Nights with $8 million, Little Miss Sunshine with $7.5 million, Beerfest with $6.5 million, and Accepted with $6.5 million. Last week’s big winner, Snakes on a Plane fell to 9th place with $5.9 million.

Rascal Flatts announced new tour dates for their Me and My Gang Tour, including a stop at Madison Square Garden in New York City!

George Strait’s new album, It Just Comes Naturally will be released on October 3rd. It includes the song “Give it Away.”

Lee Ann Womack will be shooting her new video for “Finding My Way Back Home” in her home state of Texas. This will be the first single off her new album with the same title.

Random Quote: "I don't go buy my whole band $20,000 Mercedes." - Kenny Chesney on how he spends his money (via gactv.com) - Where do you find $20,000 Mercedes?

Happy Birthday Brandon Walsh, I mean Jason Priesley he turns 37.

It’s been fun blogging with you,

Kate

No comments: