Thursday, May 07, 2009

Manny Suspended

Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens have a new addition to their elite club…Manny Ramirez. Ramirez was suspended by Major League Baseball for 50 games after testing positive for a banned substance. The League failed to release the specific drug that was found in his system but reports are pointing to a medication that was prescribed by a doctor to the Dodgers slugger.

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now.

"I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons. I want to apologize to [Dodgers owner Frank] McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, [manager Joe] Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans. LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation."

I guess the excuse I am just Manny being Manny didn’t work in this situation.

Ramirez, who was involved in on going contract negotiations with the Dodgers during the off season and finally signed a $25 million contract in March, will lose $8 million due to the suspension.

The Dodgers are planning on promoting Triple-A outfielder Xavier Paul to replace Manny until he is able to return on July 3rd.
(Photo: AP; source)

1 comment:

Nomad said...

now that Manny has half the season off he can go home to his private island and wallow while he sips iced tea and works on his tan