Friday, January 23, 2009

Tennis Fans are Rowdy



I’ll admit it, I am not a huge tennis fan. I mean once James Blake gets ousted, I usually stop watching. So I have to say, I was a bit surprised by the news that violence had erupted at the Aussie Open on Friday. I always though tennis was like golf and its spectators were always very well behaved. Certainly not the type of people who would throw chairs like they were Bob Knight and this was 1986. I figured that type of behavior was reserved for soccer fans and people who attend games at the Palace at Auburn Hills. But boy was I wrong.

According to reports, the fans began to get feisty following a match between Novak Djokovic and Amer Delic. People were seen throwing water bottles, insults and chairs - one of which knocked a woman unconscious briefly - in the crowd leading to the ejection of 30 Bosnian and Serbian youths. Two men were charged with riotous behavior and a third was fined.

Some thought that this type of incident could take place after a zero tolerance policy was instituted at the Aussie Open this year, but I don’t think that it was expected to be at this size.

Watch out rowdy fans, because the popo are on your tail!
(Photo: AP; source)

No comments: