Thursday, September 24, 2009

I promise at some point I will have something positive to write about the Coyotes…

…But this will not be it.



Wayne Gretzky has stepped down as the Coyotes head coach and director of hockey operations. It’s not surprising considering the massive turmoil surrounding the sale of the team, but why give up a free paycheck?

"This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement Thursday on his Web site. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected.

"Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached general manager Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside."

Gretzky was scheduled to make $8.5 million this season. Since joining the club in 2005, the Coyotes have posted a record of 146-161-24 and have failed to make the playoffs during that time.
(Photo: AP; source)

No comments: