Wednesday, November 01, 2006

November 1, 2006

It's ALL SAINTS DAY!
So yesterday was Halloween, in case you missed it, and I went to Steph and Mike’s to watch the annual Halloween Parade in the Village. I learned a few things:
1. Worst Costumes: Anything that has sexy/slutty in the title. Think Sergeant Sexy or the Slutty Pumpkin (How I Met Your Mother)
2. Best Costumes: Borat, Axl Rose, and Mario and Lugi (only if done properly)
3. I might be getting too old to be wondering around the Village on Halloween
4. Bee costumes are not meant for everyone. I mean horizontal stripes are hard to pull off
5. Just wearing a Carlos Beltran t-shirt is not a costume. Hey, I wear my Jeremy Shockey shirt to the gym all the time, am I getting dressed up? No! When I was three, I loved Keith Hernandez and used to dress up like him, complete with the mustache that my mom had to put on everyday. And for my third Halloween I was Keith Hernandez as a Crayon. (If I can find the picture I’ll post it) It was a complete look. So guy, in the Carlos Beltran shirt, I’m going to need more than just wearing the t-shirt jersey. I’m going to need a Mets hat, maybe the weird black lines people put under their eyes, I want polyester pants. I need more.

Braves Update:
John Thompson, Danny Baez, Todd Pratt, Daryle Ward and Brian Jordan have filed for free agency. I say keep Pratt and get rid of the rest. Pratt is the perfect mentor for Brian McCann.

Braves Broadcasters Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren, Ernie Johnson, Sr., Chip Caray, Joe Simpson, and Don Sutton are all up for the Ford C. Frick Award for 2007. You can vote from them on mlb.com. The winner will be placed in Cooperstown with other legendary announcers. (atlantabraves.com)

NASCAR Update:
David Ragan has been approved by NASCAR to race at Texas Motor Speedway. Ragan was not allowed to race at Atlanta this past weekend. He’ll run the #60 Penzoil car for No Fear Racing. I don’t know why he is allowed to race at Texas and not Atlanta. They are both fast tracks and it’s not like he raced last weekend so he gained a hole bunch of knowledge on the track. Although, in general, I don’t know why he couldn’t race at Atlanta, he already took out half the field at Martinsville, so he had another half left. I guess he can do it at Texas. Ragan was announced as the driver of the #6 AAA Ford for Roush Racing next year.

Juan Pablo Montoya, who finished 11th in his first career Busch race at Memphis last week, will run the remaining Busch races for the season. Montoya was already announced as the driver of the #42 Texaco Havoline Dodge for Chip Ganassi Racing next year.

Speaking of diversity, chipganassiracing.com will be in both English and Spanish…ESPN Desportes is will broadcast NASCAR races in Spanish. Sure beats pressing the SAP button.

Around Sports
Baseball
Barry Zito, Greg Maddux and Jeff Weaver filed for free agency on Tuesday. My dream of Smoltzie, Maddux and Glavine is getting closer to becoming reality. Now all we need is to free up some money and roster spots. Who needs Mike Hampton anyway?

The Houston Astros will not be exercising Jeff Bagwell’s option for next season. He would have made $18 million. Bagwell missed last season with an arthritic shoulder. The Astros look to replace Bagwell at first with another person whose name begins with a “B” keeping the whole killer “B’s” thing alive at the Juice Box.

Basketball
The NBA began their regular season on Tuesday. I think as part of the Halloween festivities, the Miami Heat had a contest where fans that looked most like their favorite player got to play during the game. That’s the only way to explain Miami’s 66-108 loss to the Chicago Bulls. What’s that…I told the Miami Heat to be careful because of how crappy all of the Champions from last season were doing this year…I guess they didn’t pay attention.

I went to UCONN briefly so I get the whole athletics program thing, but I always felt that the athletes are the ones who get screwed if they don’t take advantage of the academic programs being offered to them while they are at school. That is why I was so excited to read that Jarrius Jackson was being kicked off the team for not meeting the team’s academic requirements. Jackson led the Big 10 in scoring last year, averaging 20.5 points a game. Maybe someone is looking out for the players. Bravo, Bobby Knight, Bravo!

Football
New Orleans Saints QB, Drew Brees has told his mother to stop using him in campaign ads. Mina Brees is running for a Texas Court of Appeals seat. Mom and son have been feuding since Brees declined to have Mina as his agent.

Former Giants CB, Will Peterson has a new team, the Philadelphia Eagles and a new name, William James. I am sorry, but that is no Ocho Cinco. You’ll have to work on that Will.

Separated at Birth:

Popo in my crib News:
So that’s how the Cuban baseball team got to America. Allegedly, Gustavo “Gus” Dominguez had been smuggling Cuban players into the US in hopes of being signed by a Major League team. So apparently, that’s not too legal. You need to get visas and stuff, what a pain! Watch out Gus because the popo are on your tail!

Steven M. Shutts and Francine Boykin have been arrested for stealing a notebook belonging to Hank Williams. Shutts claims he bought it at a garage sale and Boykin, a former employee at the Sony/ATV building, claims she found it in a dumpster. Kids, the only way this thing works is if your stories are similar. Watch out Steven and Francine because the popo are on your tail!

Around the World:
Travel Agent: How do you feel about taking a trip to Iran?
Person: Iran? I thought that was on the government’s list of places not to travel to.
Travel Agent: It is but just hear me out. You know, the sand is really pretty there. And I heard it’s a dry heat, perfect for a winter time get away. Your hair won’t get all frizzy like if you went to Bermuda or something. It has a really great spa. I’m telling you it is going to be a major hot spot. All the celebrities will be going there like Brad and Angelina. And no, I’m not pushing this on you to collect the $20 per person fee from the Iranian government for getting Americans and Europeans to vacation there.

On Tuesday, the residents of Boone, Colorado woke up to a sea of pumpkins. The town of 330 people had a Halloween fan who decorated the entire town in pumpkins. We’ll call him/her the Halloween Santa because he/she did it in just one night.

Celebrity Tid Bits:
Brad Paisley’s new video for “She’s Everything” and Kenny Roger’s new video for “The Last Ten Years” have been added to CMT’s video rotation. Check them out at cmt.com.

Bob Barker is retiring. He has been on The Price Is Right for 35 years and will end his run in June. Who will the Price Is Right girls sue for sexual harassment now?

POSSIBLE COUPLE ALERT: Topher Grace and Ivanka Trump. Discuss, discuss!

Congratulations go out to Jason Bateman and his wife, Amanda Anka. The two welcomed Francesca Nora Bateman into the world on Saturday. Francesca is the first child for Bateman and Anka who married in Malibu in 2001.

In creepy news…Flavor Flav is expecting his seventh child. Well, really his “Shorty in Las Vegas” is expecting. Flav insists that he is still seeing his Flavor of Love season 2 winner, Deelishis (aka London Charles), but his Shorty is a different girl. Flav wants to have ten kids in total but does not want to be married to any of his baby’s mommas. How sweet. (via people.com)

Happy Birthday shout outs to Bo Bice (31), Toni Colette (34) and Jenny McCarthy (34).

Random Quote: "I will be 83 years old on Dec. 12 and I've decided to retire while I'm still young." -Bob Barker to the AP via people.com

It’s been fun blogging with you,

Kate

No comments: