Monday, November 10, 2008

Dear Nascar,

I’m breaking up with you. It’s been about four weeks since I’ve even attempted to watch a race and much longer since I’ve actually watched an entire race. Your events, which used to excite me, get me to jump off my couch as I cheered on a photo-finish have now become a great weapon in my fight against insomnia. This attempt at manufacturing excitement with this stupid Chase has only benefitted Jimmie Johnson who is on the verge of his third straight title if only he can finish better than 36th at Homestead on Sunday. That’s right 36th. What happened to that neck and neck battle between multiple drivers to win a championship? Guess that disappeared faster than Kyle Busch’s right to the 2008 title.

And this horrible TV coverage. Going for the money at the expensive of the fan once again I see.

I assume Nascar’s fatale flaw has been its inability to admit its wrong doings. Because of that I refuse to commit anymore of my Sundays (or Saturday nights as the case may be) to watching your races until you start making some changes. You get rid of this Chase and bring back the real Championships. You either start making some big changes to this horrid Car of Tomorrow (Today) or you scrap it and go to something better. You get a tire manufacture that fades into the background of the race instead of becoming a deciding factor. You create a rule book that is both open to the public and establishes points, fines and suspensions for any and every violation. You allow drivers to display their emotions without muzzling them with stupid fines and points deductions. And you start admitting your mistakes and instead of pushing them under the rug, do something about them! Until then, it’s the NFL/MLB/NHL for me.

Signed,
Continually Frustrated

PS - This will not have an effect on this blog’s coverage of Nascar, just my own viewing habits.

No comments: