Wednesday, September 06, 2006

September 6, 2006

Last night I headed on down to Shea Stadium, only to find out the Braves game was rained out. (Rachel and I should not be allowed to go to things where weather could be an issue. This is the second rain out in two months!) Unlike the Phillies v. Braves game, I didn’t have to wait 2 hours to hear the news. So I traded in my tickets for the Mets v. Dodgers game, holding out hope that one former Brave, Greg Maddux, might pitch. Or that I might be able to stalk him into signing something for me!

Braves Update:
As I said, the Braves game was rained out last night. The Braves will play a traditional doubleheader with the first game beginning at 1:10 and the second game going 30 minutes after the first game ends. John Smoltz will pitch the 1:10 game and Kyle Davies will pitch the 4ish game.

Games to .500: 5
Games behind San Diego Padres: 5.5
Games behind New York Mets: 18.5

The US beat Cuba to win the Gold medal in the Olympic qualifier for baseball. The US team featured AA-Mississippi Brave, Jarrod Saltamacchia who homered in the ninth inning allowing the US team to win 8-5. At least one US team could win the gold in international play!

NASCAR Update:
A.J. Allmendinger, currently driving in the Champ Car circuit will drive two Truck Series races for Bill Davis Racing this year. Allmendinger had won three straight races earlier in the season after being fired by RuSport Racing in June.

David Green has been relieved of his driving duties for the #27 car in the Busch Series by Brewco Motorsports. He will be replaced by Casey Atwood. Which is so funny because I just saw his face on something and thought where is he now?

Slugger Labbe will be the interim crew chief for Sterling Marlin and the rest of the #14 crew.

Around sports:
There were seven shut outs last night in Major League play, a rarity when most games have double digit scores. Among the winning pitchers, Johan Santana was able to blank the Devil Rays while the Twins scored 8 runs allowing them to open up their lead in the AL wild card standings. They are one and half games up on the White Sox who lost 1-0 to the Red Sox.

The Red Sox’s DH, David “Big Papi” Ortiz, was OKed by doctors to return to the field for last night’s game. Ortiz joined Manny Ramirez, Trot Nixon, and Jason Varitek who all came off the DL over the weekend.

The injury bug has bitten Ken Griffey, Jr. again. The Cincinnati Reds’ centerfielder dislocated his toe while trying to make a catch during last night’s game. There is no news as to when the former all-star will return to the lineup. The Reds have gone 2-8 over the last ten games dropping them from the top of the wild card standings in the NL to 3.5 games back as of this morning.

Popo in my Crib news:
Texas’ game against Ohio State University will be the first meeting of No. 1 and No. 2 ranked college football teams in regular season play since Florida played Florida State in 1996. Texas will be doing it without starting cornerback, Tarrell Brown and backup lineman Tyrell Gatewood. The players were arrested on Monday after police pulled over their car. Brown was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon. Tarrell, I know it’s Texas, but you still need a license to carry the gun! Both Brown and Gatewood were charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. Tarrell and Tyrell watch out, because the popo are on your tail!

Separated at Birth:

Celebrity Tid Bits:
Emilio Estevez is engaged. The Mighty Ducks star got engaged to writer Sonja Madevski over Christmas. Way to release the news in a timely manner.

Former American Idol contestant, Tamara Gray, married songwriter/producer, Sam Watters. While looking at their wedding photo, I couldn’t figure out why I knew him. Honestly, I know very, very, very few producers. As I read the article on people.com I read “Watters was a member of the early 90s R&B (using the term lightly I see) group Color Me Badd.” It was like a light bulb went off in my head, of course, Color Me Badd! Kelly Taylor and Donna Martin tried to meet them at the hotel and then Donna and David saw Mrs. Martin having an affair. Ahhh, 90210!

Happy birthday wishes go out to Jeff Foxworthy who turns 48 today.

Random Quote: "I'm kind of jealous of the life I'm supposedly leading." -Zach Braff on what is written about him in the tabliods (via people.com)

I know I’m way behind on putting up the pictures of US Open, but I’ll try to get them up tonight!

It’s been fun blogging with you,

Kate

No comments: