Thursday, October 12, 2006

October 12, 2006

It has been quite an eventful week for me. On Monday, as I was exiting the subway station at 34th Street, I saw a large group of people just loitering on the sidewalk. I hate that; don’t people understand it’s a sidewalk? Meant for walking, work with me people! Anyway, I also noticed the entire NYFD in the street outside of Macy’s Harold Square. I later found out there was a small fire in an elevator shaft which forced the store to evacuate.

Yesterday, one of my co-workers said that something had just crashed into a building on 72nd and York, a few blocks from where I work. I went to my boss’ office, because she has a window and we saw the smoke rising from the crash. It was kind of surreal. I spent the rest of the day scouring the internet to find out more news. I should have just gone home at 3, but that was not possible. I have to admit I was not very productive the rest of the afternoon, but I doubt anyone else was either. (more in the around sports section)

Then on my way home from the train, I got off at my usual spot and walked home in the rain…and I saw what looked like a shoelace on the sidewalk, and then it moved. It was a snake! A baby snake, but still one of my major animal fears, snakes…and sharks…but I didn’t see a shark yesterday! I was totally shocked. You don’t see snakes around where I live because it’s so suburban. I see them in Florida and it freaks me out but I’m resigned to the fact that I will see them there, but not in New Jersey.

MLB Playoffs:

American League Championship Series

Detroit Tigers v. Oakland Athletics
Game 2 recap:
Tigers 8 11 0
Athletics 5 11 1
W: Justin Verlander (1-0)
L: Esteban Loaiza (0-1)
S: Todd Jones (1)

Game 3
First Pitch: 10/13
Stadium: Comerica Park in Detroit, MI
Scheduled Pitchers
Tigers: Kenny Rogers (0-0)
A’s: Dan Harden (0-0)

Tigers lead the Series 2-0

National League Championship Series

St. Louis Cardinals v. New York Mets
Game 1:
PPD
First Pitch: 8:19 PM/Est on Fox
Scheduled Pitchers: Cardinals: Jeff Weaver (0-0)
Mets: Tom Glavine (0-0)

Game 2
First Pitch: 10/13
Stadium: Shea Stadium in Flushing, NY

Series Tied at 0-0

Playoff Notes: Contrary to many reports (including my own) Cliff Floyd will not miss the NLCS for the Mets even though he is still suffering with an injured foot.

NASCAR Update:
Cover Girl Niki Taylor and NASCAR Busch Series Driver, Burney Lamar have announced their engagement to US Weekly. Taylor has twin boys from a previous relationship and has also dated Keith Urban. So even though Burney is cute and he drives fast cars for a living, he’s still a downgrade from Urban. But for Lamar, this is a major upgrade from anyone he has previous dated I'm sure.

Good news, for Benny Parsons, according to jayski.com, the 1971 Cup Champion recently had a CT scan and it revealed no signs of a tumor. Parsons had been diagnosed with lung cancer earlier this summer.

Random Quote: "I pushed [Gordon] into the lead five times and every time I do that he complains that I'm bump-drafting him in the corners and blah, blah, blah. So I'm just not going to push him any more. There is so much grip here, my mom could drive these cars. So there wasn't no way I was going to spin anybody out. But I guess it makes Jeff Gordon a little nervous…Besides, every time I help him out, he never gives it back in return," That's why he don't have too many friends out there. I was trying to be his only friend, besides his teammates who are kind of paid to draft with him." - Dale Earnhardt, Jr. via si.com

Around Sports:
Baseball
Sad news, Yankees pitcher, Cory Lidle was killed on Wednesday when his Cirrus SR20 plane slammed into the Belaire building on E 72nd Street in Manhattan. Lidle left Teterboro Airport in New Jersey and reportedly flew around Manhattan before losing contact with flight control around 59th Street. Lidle had been traded to the Yankees from the Philadelphia Phillies in July as a part of the Bobby Abreu deal. He joined his former High School teammate, Jason Giambi in New York. Yankees Owner, George Steinbrenner released a statement expressing his condolences; “This is a terrible and shocking tragedy that has stunned the whole Yankee Organization.” Lidle was 34. He leaves behind his wife, Melanie and six year old son, Christopher. (via mlb.com)

Hockey
It’s been a bad year for defending champions. 2005 World Series Champs, the Chicago White Sox, did not make the playoffs, the Super Bowl Champion, Pittsburgh Steelers are 1-3 (not to mention all of Roethlisberger’s problems) and the Carolina Hurricanes, the last team to hoist the Stanley Cup have yet to win a game in the young 2006-2007 season. They lost to the Florida Panthers, 6-3 last night. I’d watch out if I were the Miami Heat!

Tennis
French Open winner, Rafael Nadal was upset by 690th ranked, Joachim Johansson, 6-4, 7-6 (4) at the Stockholm Open. He can beat Rodger Federer but he can’t beat a 690th ranked player? Maybe it’s the hideous manpris!

Around the World:
I’ll call him my new favorite congressman. Rep. Christopher Shays always knows exactly what to say. In defending Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert, Shays said, “I know the speaker didn’t go over a bridge and leave a young person in the water and then have a press conference the next day,” alluding to Sen. Ted Kennedy’s little incident at Chappaquiddick. Anytime you can bring that into a conversation, you know you’ve done well. Too bad I’m not a voter in Connecticut because Rep. Shays I would totally vote for you…as long as you have similar ideals… (via cnn.com)

The Amish one room school house, which was the scene of a deadly school shooting earlier this month, has been demolished. Hopefully this can bring some type of closure to those affected.

While I sit here enjoying 70 degree weather, the Midwest is getting pounded by winter weather including snow, sleet, and hail and other locations are experiencing blizzard like conditions. I can just hear Jim Cantore now…

Celebrity Tid Bits:
Nashville Star winner, Chris Young has the highest selling debut album of any country male solo artist this year. His self-titled debut sold 36,000 copies landing on the Billboard Country charts at number 3. Congratulations!

David Bowie will voice a character on Spongebob Squarepants. I hope your kids are a big fan because otherwise this is a major downgrade from the Simpsons.

What Happens when one of your big budget shows bits the dust early? Do you just show repeats? Or do you plug in the holes with crappy reality shows? For CBS and NBC, you move up the airdates of some of your midseason replacements. When CBS cancelled Smith, a hole developed on Wednesday nights at 10PM. CBS will start airing 3 lbs. featuring Mark Feuerstein (Good Morning, Miami) and Stanley Tucci (The Devil Wears Prada) starting on November 14th. NBC will fill the hole made when they cancelled Kidnapped with Medium starring Patricia Arquette.

Happy Birthday wishes go out to Ned Jarrett, Kirk Cameron and Hugh Jackman.

It’s been fun blogging with you,

Kate

No comments: